Design Technology

Design and Technology is a subject based around the design and manufacture of products and applications. As a department we encourage pupils to be creative and to explore their own ideas. We use a range of tools and machinery including the use of ICT in both the designing and making sections of project work through CAD and CAM.

Ofsted report

 

Provision for Design Technology is very good.

Department description:

 

In years 7 – 9 the pupils get an experience of Electronic Products, Engineering, Food Studies and Product Design. Throughout Year 7 – 9 we try to provide pupils with a taste of the areas we offer at GCSE, through project based work. These projects assist pupils in deciding on the course that best suits them when they have to make their options choices.

 

The department currently offers GCSE courses in Electronic Products, Engineering and Product Design. At GCSE level we complete mini practical based tasks to develop knowledge and understanding. The Electronic Products and Product Design pupils complete a design and make task for their coursework which is worth 60%. An external examination taken at the end of the course provides the other 40%. The Engineering course requires a design task which is worth 30%, an independent make task which is worth 30% and an external examination which is worth 40%.

 

At A level Systems and Control and Product Design are offered. Product Design looks at the implementation of the design process through history and information into the future. There is an emphasis on designing and manufacturing a product using modern techniques. Systems and Control continues is a mixture of electronics, mechanisms and pneumatics. Both courses require a design and make task which forms the coursework which is worth 50%. An external examination completes the other 50%.

© Website Design by Simple Marketing Solutions

Ilford County High School
Fremantle Road
Barkingside
Ilford
Essex IG6 2JB
Telephone: 020 8551 6496
Email: enquiries@ichs.org.uk
Ilford County High School Ofsted Report
Quick Links